Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wedding Planning 101: The Caterer

The caterer... Obviously this is going to be a very biased post because, let's face it, The RK Group is catering in San Antonio. Yes, there are other great caterers to choose from, but we've been catering for 65 years, it's something we know, something we know very well.

I'm a foodie. I love good, interesting, innovative menus, a new spin on a traditional favorite or just something that makes people stop and say "wow, that was delicious!". With that said, it's obvious that the menu at our wedding would be a very important factor in my mind. If you're like me and my fiance, you can think of the menu as an added decoration or piece of entertainment. Food can be fun, memorable and the highlight of the night.

After starting in my position with The RK Group just a few months ago, I immediately started listening to what the chef offered, talking to him about things that are trending in the food world, asking him what he thinks really makes a party special, etc. Now I know that I have an added advantage here, but that's why I'm going to give you all the pointers you need to help you be successful!
Executive Chef Eric Nelson mans the nitrogen ice cream bar

As with any other vendor, you need to do your research. Think about it, if you schedule a meeting with a caterer because they are all the rage, but they really specialize in Mexican food and that's not what you want chances are, even if you get them to try something a little different and more to your liking, they won't hit a home run. You need to be able to trust in the skills of the caterer.

Here are some tips:
  1. Schedule a consultation towards the beginning of your planning. Many people don't realize that once you add everything up, catering can easily become one of the priciest parts of your wedding. By having the meeting early, you can help plan your budget accordingly. 
  2. Research what you want. I'm not just talking about researching caterers, though of course do this. Find reviews, talk to friends that have gotten married or have parties often, talk to your office, I'm sure you will find plenty of resources. Don't stop there though, research what kind of food or presentation you want. Often, this will lead you to the right caterer. 
  3. Think about what food you like. Go into the meeting with an idea of menu items that you would like to see. That could be the trending dish of the moment or an old family favorite. Whatever it is, don't be scared to ask. Often times, the chef or catering manager will be able to suggest new or unique ways for presentations or twists on old favorites. 
  4. When comparing bids, review them closely. What I mean by this specifically, is that every cater has a different way of structuring their bids. When you're reviewing them, be mindful that some caterers may include food, service, rentals, etc in one price while others might break them out separately. This might not seem like a big deal until you don't look at the big picture and think that one caterer is bidding $10 per person and one is bidding $40. 
  5. Have an idea of what style you want. There are so many: heavy hors d'oeuvres, buffet, food stations, interactive stations, seated dinner, etc. 


I had my initial consultation with The RK Group for catering last week. It was strange putting myself in the shoes of a client. Though, let me tell you, I was thrilled with the result. My catering manager (and party throwing extraordinaire) is Dawn Dawes. She is incredibly knowledgeable about all of the most popular San Antonio venues. She walked us through a typical layout of the space, what works best, how many tables we should plan to have where, etc. It was more than just catering - and that's the BIG benefit to coming to The RK Group, you can get everything taken care of at once and without a headache. I broke some of the rules and didn't go in with a clear idea of what I wanted (but again, remember I know the chef) and just gave him free reign on the menu with a little direction of our likes and dislikes. I trust him fully to bring something wonderful to the table.

I encourage you to be very open minded. I came in with an idea that they later told me would probably not work out as well as I was hoping. They quickly suggested new options that sounded wonderful and I was back on track.

Just a few reasons I think The RK Group is a winning pick for brides (trying to be unbiased here):
  1. The experience of the team along is unrivaled. We have the best of the best here and they know what they're doing. It doesn't begin and end with the menu, they help you with the layout, the details and everything in between.
  2. The quality of the food. Our executive chef Eric Nelson and his team are extraordinary. They are amazing at coming up with new, innovative menu options. They can even take a family recipe and build it into the menu. I continue to be amazed by them. 
  3. The service. This is one area where we always shine. Our team is impeccable and understands the importance of efficient, quality service. They are experts at what they do. We stand for the best and that's what we continue to deliver. 
  4. The overall planning experience. If you want stress free, this is your place. Did I mention one-stop-shop. That means you only have to coordinate one vendor for everything from catering to linens to china to tables to floral and more. 
  5. Our team knows San Antonio. Still looking for a venue? Don't be afraid to ask for suggestions. Our team has great relationships with venues throughout San Antonio, Austin and the Hill Country. We can provide you a list of great options.

This is the fun part. Like I said, imagine the menu as another piece of the entertainment. Your guests will be thrilled to have good food that they maybe don't see everyday. Call (210.223.2680) or email (sales@therkgroup.com) our sales team today and schedule a consultation to start talking about your big day.

Coming soon: Online resources I love.

Happy Planning!
Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Love ur blog...when is the wedding??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea! So sorry I'm just now seeing your comment! I'm getting married in February. Thanks for the kind words about the blog. It's very fun to write. Another is coming soon, promise. Just have to think of a good topic - I'm thinking... save the dates... check back soon!

    ReplyDelete